Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reflections of 2014

Just minutes away before 2015 and I'm so grateful for life and the experiences I had this year. I'm praying that 2015 be even greater!  In 2014 I experienced many "firsts", and being that I didn't make many posts this year, allow me to share my year in review...

For a few years, I've wanted to join the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Program, to become a big sister to you a young girl.  I was on the list for a year and was finally matched with my "little" in March.  Just a week later of meeting my "little", I arrived home to find a package from Cape Town, South Africa, with a picture of my new penpal.  Let me tell you how this came about..I decided to get involved in a program called Metro Kids Africa after reading a blog from one of my favorite bloggers, Curly Nikki.  She and her hubby took a trip to South Africa and while there they stopped by an orphanage that is run by Metro Kids Africa.  And since I always wanted to get involved with a charity in Africa, I decided to investigate further and reach out to Mrs. Janet Senior, who is the director of the program.  After a few conversations with Janet, I was all ready to get involved with the program.  And just a few weeks later, I was able to "meet" my new friend in South Africa.  I enjoy receiving mail and cards from her, and I'm so thankful that I'm able to be a blessing to these girls.

Another great thing that occurred this year was that I finally became a member of the Illustrious Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc!!!  I've had an interest in this organization since my undergrad years, and now a few years later, I'm officially a Zeta Women!

More great news on a professional note...I love departmentalization!  As I shared with you before, the Administrators at my school decided to departmentalize grades 3-5 for the 2014-2015 school year.  I was reluctant when I first heard of the change but I absolutely love it!  I love teaching my favorite subjects and lesson planning is so much easier.  And last but not least of my 2014 "firsts", I had the great opportunity to have a student teacher in my classroom.  As you already know,  I was very apprehensive in taking on a student teacher.  But I'm so grateful of the opportunity, and being able to mentor this young lady during her journey to becoming an educator.  She was awesome and great with the students, we learned a lot from each other.  I already have another student teacher lined up in January, I pray she's just as great!

2014 was good to me, and it is my prayer that GOD allows 2015 to be even greater!  No New Year resolutions as I don't keep them anyway, I just pray to learn how to "live" more each day.  

Happy New Year!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment